How to Clean Fungus
Camera lenses can also be infested with various types of fungi. However, it is a myth that, once infested, the lens is beyond repair. Lots of people also assume, that by attempting to repair a camera infested by fungus, they run the risk of transferring the infestation to other objects around.
However, infestation of fungi is preventable and curable. There are also waterproof digital cameras that may never face this problem. It is only in some cases, where the fungi is etched on to the coating of the lens, that it is not economically viable to repair the camera or the lens.
- The first step to eliminate fungus is to dismantle the setup of the lens. This is important to assess the damage caused by the fungus. Sometimes the fungus is cemented in between the lens. In such cases, attempting to repair it on your own is not a wise option.
- Most fungi cause little damage and can be cured by using vinegar with its antifungal properties.
Hydrogen peroxide is also rich in antifungal properties and clears any fungal spores.
- In case, you have noticed a mild attack of fungus on the lens, firing it continuously with an electronic flash gun will clear the fungus temporarily. It will also help eliminate the infestation that may have spread to other inaccessible parts of the camera.
- A chemical called thymol is present in herbs such as thyme and oregano. Placing a sachet of these in the kit may prove helpful in eliminating the fungus.
- Do remember that after performing any kind of cleaning operation, it is imperative that you thoroughly dry the apparatus, or prepare yourself to welcome another fungal attack.
- Prevent the occurrence of a fungal infestation, by keeping the camera in dry and well-lit places. Fungi love humidity and darkness, and those are exactly the conditions that need to be avoided.
All in all, the best way to maintain the sharpness of your camera is to simply prevent it from getting dirty. This way you can preserve it for longer and you will be able to click desirable pictures. Nonetheless, even if your camera does get dirty, the aforementioned tips are sure to help you clean it up and make it as good as new; so click away!