Today, almost everybody uses digital camera. However, there are some who still use film cameras. No matter what kind of camera one uses, it many times happens that the photo was not taken well. There will be problems associated with light, improper setting, lens flare, etc. These are problems which occur when shooting. Also, there are many problems associated with old photographs.They can have light issues, noise, lens flare problem, color problems or they can be very old, dusty and sometimes yellow. Some of these old photographs will be invaluable memory shots. So, what to do? How to repair and restore these photos. Use these tips and save your precious photos without having to discard them.
Tips to Restore Photos
Tips to Restore Photos
- First of all scan all the old photos you wish to restore. In case, the photos are digital, copy them to a particular folder on your system. These will be your photos you wish to restore.
- If possible try to categorize the photos by the problems they have, for sub folder containing photos which are black and white and need to be converted to color, or photos which have a lot of noise, etc.
- Now, it is time to use a powerful photo-editing software. The most popular one remains to be Adobe Photoshop. You can learn to use photoshop easily by following tutorials provided with the software. However, if you don't have the budget for Photoshop then use some free software available online. Some good free software are Picasa, Picnik and GIMP. But, let me inform you that these software don't have all the necessary tools to completely restore the photos. So, best is to use Photoshop.
- Now, open the photo in the software and adjust the light setting in it. Change its brightness and contrast, so that it looks better. Make the lighting pleasing to the idea and so that the details can be seen. Also, remember always to keep brightness more than contrast.
- After this color correct the photos. Change the saturation, color, hue, etc. of the photo. Again the goal should be a pleasing looking photo.
- In case, the photo is black and white and you want to convert it to color, then you will need to collect some data regarding the color of the environment and subject present in the photo, if you are not able to acquire the data then use your own imagination. To do this you will need to select large areas of the photos using lasso tool and then fill them with color, and adjust with the shade and transparency of the color. For smaller areas simply use a paintbrush. To do a great job, try to work on higher zoom rates so you can cover pixel to pixel.
- After you are done coloring the photo, it is time to remove the red eye, if any. There are red eye tool which when clicked on the area simply make the eye color normal.
- Once you are satisfied with the overall picture, reduce the noise in the picture. Use a bit of Gaussian blur to make the picture soft and reduce noise. You can also use special noise reduction tool if any.
- Apart from the above basic changes, software are loaded with many other handy tools.
- There is stamp tool, which can make your complexion look smoother by simply stamping a patch of clear skin on the uneven skin area. However, do a good job. Also, you can reduce lens flare option if you want. Explore the software more to know about special tools of this kind.
- One more thing, if you want to crop the picture so that unwanted edges or bad spots can be removed then go ahead and do so.