Presentation is the key in the world of fashion. Fashion designers and aspiring models need to have a professional portfolio to have a bright career in the industry. Models who are aspiring to bag assignments in the advertising world or for the runways need to have a versatile portfolio that showcases them in different moments and angles. A good portfolio can embark one on a successful career, and plays a very important role in any aspiring model's career graph as it is the first step into the world of glamor. Let us take a quick look at some tips for fashion portfolios and how you can look your best in it:
- When you choose a photographer, ensure that you discuss the whole theme of the portfolio with him/her well in advance. Go through the photographer's own repertoire to know about his/her style in photography. Some photographers may be particularly good with portrait shots, whereas some may be highly talented in creating surreal images. For this reason, you need to know how you can use the skills of the photographer to your advantage. You should discuss it with him/her to decide upon the basic look required.
- Always keep a good varied wardrobe ready. A fashion portfolio that showcases you in different types of clothing and looks would turn out to be more useful for you. Experiment and create unique styles by selecting the right kind of clothing. Casual and formal looks are the most basic, but you can also try out something more creative. Simply browse through clothing stores and pick up pieces that can be mixed and matched. You can pair leggings with a short skirt and halter, or choose a cowboy look. Experiment and show how versatile you are, as it would help you to land up with plum assignments.
- A fashion portfolio can be jazzed up in a variety of ways. You do not always have to invest in clothes that are exorbitantly priced. Look around in stores, or even flea markets, where you can get interesting jewelry items that you can use to add more pizzazz to your look. A chunky necklace or an interesting headgear can help to make a photograph truly interesting.
- If you are a model with no prior experience, you must gather knowledge about facing the camera. It is crucial to know about the right angles, and pose in such a way that makes you look flattering in the photographs. You must not be conscious of the camera, as your stance will reflect the same. Discuss with the photographer on ways to face the camera and the kind of expression you would need to develop as per the costume selected.
- Be careful about your posture. A model needs to have the correct posture to be able to look stunning. While in front of the camera, you can experiment with different poses to make each snap look different. Remember to feel free and at ease, and your spontaneity would naturally show in the photographs.